One very common question we get is – what are the must see places in Turkey? Or – what are the top 10 tourist sites in Turkey? We’ll to answer that I wanted to give a brief overview of the 10 best tourist places before showing a 10 day tour that will get you to the best places in Turkey.
First off- we like to remind travelers to Turkey that Turkey travel is about enjoyment -not just rushing from place to place. As such – we have found after planning hundreds of Turkey tours that adding a day or two in Istanbul or in Cappadocia can greatly improve the pace of your trip – meaning slowing it down.
So with out further ado here are the 10 ten places to see in Turkey and how I would plan a 10 day Turkey Tour:
- The Hagia Sophia – without a doubt and my own personal favorite architectural gem in Turkey.
- Ephesus – the Ancient Biblical city that is well preserved with amazing terrace houses and amphitheater.
- Cappadocia’s landscape – just being in this amazing volcanic ash fairy tell landscape is worth the trip.
- The Mediterranean coast – Especially from Antalya to Fethiye – where else can you get 8000′ mountain tops 1 mile from the sea?
- The Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Mosque) – using the dome example from the Hagia Sophia this makes a beautiful sister to its counterpart both set on either side of a large pedestrian park. The view from between the two is breathtaking.
- The Dolmabahce Palace – The locaton on the Bosphorous Straits and the sheer grandeur of this 19th century Ottoman expression of European luxury is one of my top spots in Istanbul.
- The Goreme Open Air Museum – the number of rock cut churches with amazing mosaics is a high value tourist spot in Cappadocia.
- The View of Istanbul from the Bosphorous Straits – Taking a ferry ride from Asia to Europe and seeing the home of close to 20 million people along with a glass of Turkish tea- is one of those repeatably predictable but still amazing moments.
- The Topkapi Palace – So you come to Turkey for the exotic – specifically the Ottoman – here is ground central for the flow of Ottoman history outward.
- Pamukkale – The Cotton Castle – The Limestone Fountain – Still worth seeing despite its somewhat dreary look – built into the ancient city of Hierapolis and only 5 miles from Laodiciea this is still one of the places that is a must see.