1. Montenegro declared its independence from Serbia in 2006.
2. Montenegro got its name from the dark mountain forests that cover the land. The name breaks down into two words, ‘monte’ and ‘negro’ (black, mountain)
3. In area, Montenegro is comparable to the size of Connecticut, and has 117 beaches along the Adriatic coast. Despite its small size, there are five airports in this world-famous tourist destination.
4. The legendary English romantic poet Lord Bryon once described Montenegro this way: ‘At the birth of the planet, the most beautiful encounter between land and sea must have been on the Montenegrin coast’.
5. The Tara (Drina) River in Montenegro is known for its clean water. The river also forms the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina in several places.
6. Handmade carpets, wood carvings, tapestries, ceramics, filigree jewelry, ceramics, art and wine are some of the famous items from the region that you can buy while in Montenegro.
7. Sveti Stefan is certainly one of the tourist icons of Montenegro. It is located just 15 minutes from Budva, by car.
8. The monastery of Ostrog, located above the Bjelopavlic valley, is one of the most visited shrines in Christian world. It is carved in rocks and was founded in the 17th century by Saint Basil.
9. Montenegro is featured in the movie “Casino Royale,” released in 2006, staring Daniel Craig as James Bond.
10. The majority of the country’s population, almost 47%, is between the ages of 25 and 54. The country has a high literacy rate of almost 99%.